Job Title: Science Content Specialist
Reports to: Digital Curriculum Writing Manager
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Dept./School: Curriculum Development
The Science Content Specialist ensures that all curriculum development in Science courses are in sync with state standards and state assessment frameworks of the curriculum products being produced. This position also ensures that all science references are factual, unbiased, and conceptually concise for our curriculum. Involved with the design and development process of curriculum, instruction, test question design and development, keeps abreast of ever changing standards and assessments to provide up-to-date curriculum materials. This position entails being able to write science content material similar to a textbook, but with friendlier language.
In 2015, Bright Thinker’s curriculum was developed in both paper and digital forms to serve the most challenging students in K – 12th grades. Our solutions work well for advanced students and those in credit recovery and supplemental applications, too. Today, numerous alternative accountability charter schools in Texas, including ISDs, use our core classes curriculum, making us a proven leader in student success.
Bright Thinker provides students a rigorous academic experience, with the intent of preparing them for the successes measured by standardized assessments and collegiate preparedness. The Bright Thinker team has developed educational products that adhere to state and national standards in architecture and curriculum content. Students will experience a variety of instructional content that is academically challenging yet visually engaging to stimulate the educational mind and encourage academic discovery.
- Bachelor’s (B.A. or B.S.) from an accredited Four-Year College or University required; Masters’ degree (M.A. or M.S.) (preferred)
- Certified as a Secondary Science Teacher
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in Secondary Science content areas
- Teaching experience at the middle and secondary levels (preferred)
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES(KSAs):
- Ability to clearly write science content and assessments at the appropriate grade level
- Advanced knowledge of the latest trends in education
- Able to develop creative solutions for instructional needs
- Working knowledge of multiple state assessment exams as needed with a concentration on Texas
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities effectively
- Ability to research new teaching styles, techniques, and tools
- Able to proofread and make edits as necessary
- Ability to communicate well with team members and maintain effective working relationships
- 3+ years of experience in educational publishing
- 3+ years of experience of editing curriculum manuscripts
- Advanced knowledge of emerging trends in web-based instruction and can develop non-print solutions
- Working knowledge of basic bookmaking processes
- Experience with science media content
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Review, edit, and write according to state standard guidelines; improve the overall content of manuscript by eliminating wordiness, jargon, passive voice, and adding effective transitions
- Develop and write STAAR Study Guides
- Keep track of ever-changing state standards and adoptions and update curriculum as needed
- Use clean, clear writing and real-world examples when writing Lessons and assessment questions
- Incorporate different levels of rigor into assessment writing
- Use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google suite as needed
- Keep track of time on projects and make adjustments as needed
- Perform special projects, during and after normal business hours, and other duties as assigned
- Collaborate and cooperate effectively with other content specialists, editors, and other curriculum and academic team members
- Promote the mission and vision of Bright Thinker by increasing the quality of student learning and engagement through a vibrant and rigorous program
All equipment and software required to perform the job’s duties and tasks previously described are provided.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Bright Thinker considers applicants for all positions without regards to race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, marital status, veteran or military status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Bright Thinker is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Bright Thinker is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you think this position best fits you and would like to be considered for this position, apply here online.